Sunday, May 30, 2010

the oyster stew experiment


There are two recipes in this book I’ve been dreading. This is one of them: oyster stew. The other one is a roast possum recipe, but we’ll get to that later. Back to the oyster stew. Why anyone would make oyster stew in the first place is beyond me, but it’s in the book, and had to be done sometime. So I guess I thought today seemed like as good as any other.

Oysters:
Faux fish seitan recipe from La Dolce Vegan. Use smoked salt. Tear the seitan into small pieces when placing it in the boiling broth. They kinda turn out in the shape of oysters. Weird.

1 lb. potatoes
1-cup bacon bits (vegan, duh.)
1 chopped white onion
1 cup chopped celery
Corn from 2 ears corn
4 cups regular unsweetened soymilk
2 cubes vegan bouillon
2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1-teaspoon salt
1-teaspoon black pepper
Herbamare to taste
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley (optional)

Boil the potatoes in two batches (1/2pound each), 1 batch whole, 1 batch cubed.
Sauté celery, corn, and onions until celery is soft.
Heat up soymilk, bouillon, and whole potatoes and use a hand blender to blend until smooth (or throw the soymilk, bouillon and whole potatoes in a vitamix and blend until smooth. Then heat up in a large pot.
Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and bacon bits.
Add corn. Celery, onions, cubed potatoes, and faux oysters
Cook for 10 minutes. Add herbamare to taste.
Serve in bowls and add parsley for garnish

I found it quite tasty, although a bit strange. My wife and roommate ate the biscuits and ignored the soup. I guess, unless you’ve had oyster stew and really miss it, don’t bother making it. On that note, if any workfolks want some for lunch Tuesday, hit me up. I have a ton. After that glowing review of this strange stew, I can imagine how many messages I’ll get asking for this concoction.

No comments:

Post a Comment