Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Cheesy" Garlic Biscuits


Yum…. Reminiscent of those biscuits one gets at Red Lobster. Except I do not have a tank of pathetic looking live lobsters in my foyer. Hell, I don’t even have a foyer. Anyways. The household ate the whole batch, and I know I’ll be making them again soon.

2 teaspoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ cups vegan “buttermilk” (made with apple cider vinegar)
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup shredded smoked cheddars style sheese (though I suspect Daiya cheddar would work. I wouldn’t know. All I could find was the mozzarella style. Though I do like the smoked sharpness of the sheese)
3/8 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ cup earth balance

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Combine sheese, 2/8 garlic powder, flour, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl and make a well. Add in the “buttermilk” and vegetable oil and mix with a spoon until thoroughly combined. Divide the dough into 12 pieces, roll into loose balls and pat down to about ½” thickness. Place on a cookie sheet. Melt earth balance and add the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder. Brush on the dough. You can also sprinkle some dried parsley on the biscuits if you want to add to that faux red lobster biscuit taste. I ran out of dried parsley months ago and never bothered to replace it, but the last time I attempted to make similar biscuits, I went this route with no regrets. Bake for 10 minutes. Eat. Repeat whole process.

No comments:

Post a Comment