Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fried Green Tomato FAIL


I do not take to failure well, especially when cooking. But inevitably it happens. Like mixing up baking powder and baking soda, or that time I ran out of arrowroot when I was making orange crème brulee and decided to try and use guar gum in place since that’s all I had handy. I ended up with something that resembled stringy tapioca/ rice pudding and tasted even worse than that sounds. This was one of those times.

Now, when I think of fried green tomatoes, I envision a light cornmeal coating fried to a deep golden brown, so I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical going into the this recipe (which, by the way, is “Fried Green Tomatoes 1” in WSCC. There are two more recipes in the book. TFG)

The batter is much like the batter I used for the onion rings in my previous post, which does not jive with my dreams of crunchy cornmeal coated tomatoes, but I thought “what the hell.” Which is exactly what I thought after I fried two rounds. I successfully decimated two of my beautiful green tomatoes I had spent many minutes selecting at the farmers market. I ate a few, and Lindsey tried to eat one, but only made it through two bites. They were super oily and half the batter fell off during frying. So sad. The tomato slices that hadn’t made it into the hot oil went in fridge, which means I’ll be snacking on not-fried green tomatoes tonight.

Like I said, I’m glad there’s 2 more recipes to try. Because I really REALLY love a good fried green tomato.

2 comments:

  1. Was the oil hot enough? That's usually the issue with a batter that ends up tasting too greasy.

    But I agree with you - love me some Fannie, but I like my green tomatoes with a good cornmeal crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oil was hot enough, but the batter was F-U-N-K-Y, and kept falling of, so all the oil was just soaking into the tomatoes. :( oh well.

    ReplyDelete