Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Creamed “Chicken” and Biscuits


I’m tired and cranky tonight, but I said I was going to make creamed chicken on biscuits and gravy and collards greens. Well, I made it halfway through following through on that one. Didn’t really realize that I needed to cook the collards for 2 hours. 2 whole hours!!! So when I started cooking dinner at 8 o’clock tonight, there was no way in hell I was going to spend two hours waiting for collard greens. Nope, they will just have to wait. Fortunately, for me, creamed “chicken” and biscuits only takes about 20 minutes. Perfect.

So, I popped the cork on a bottle of wine and got to cooking.

Creamed “chicken” and biscuits
(WSCC pg. 20)

¼ cup margarine
½ cup thinly sliced celery
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 ½ cup soy milk (or rice, or whatever)
½ teaspoon salt
Few dashed of black pepper
Dash of chili powder

2 cups diced fake chicken (I used the rest of the “chicken” seitan I made or the bbq the other day, and when I try this recipe again (because I will!) I’m gonna get my hands on some of that gardien fake chicken. That would set this over the top.)

3 large biscuits (I just used bisquick and soymilk. I know, I know, why use bisquick when it’s so easy to make my own from scratch? I just love bisquick. I can’t help it.)

Melt margarine in medium heavy saucepan over medium-low heat and add celery. Cover and cook until tender. Sprinkle flours over mixture and stir until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually pour in milk and stir until smooth (I use one of the rubberized flat whisks. I love them. They make the best gravy every time). Stir in fake chicken and cook until thick. Serve on biscuits.

Tomorrow morning I am going to make toast and have the left over for breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. I love this project! Why did I only hear about it inadvertently through FB? I have to tell you -- according to my southern boyfriend, 2 hours is WAY insufficient for collards. In his view they need 6 to 8.

    ReplyDelete